Year of the Maaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Jan. 27, 2014



Yep, nailed it. Year of the Horse! It is Chinese New year coming up and we are pretty excited! 

Lately by our place, it has been crammed crowded of people. Lots of them. Buying shoes mainly, since we live on the shoe street! I am not sure exactly what it will be like here, but I know that the city kind on like shuts down. Only big supermarkets are open. I am hoping that we are going to be able to find a time to email next week if the library will be open or not! 
I also hope we will be able to see some fireworks or something.. But since the buildings are all so tall, if they go off late at night, we won't be seeing anything. Also this week at church, we only have 1 hour because of the New Year. and also on Saturday, the first, we don't proselyte. We stay in our apartment all day and do a killer deep clean! also no one will be outside.

Well today is cool, because in honor of not getting hit by a bus for our first year out, us Canto Boys (MTC group) and couple of the sisters are going to the island to eat some burgers today! Pretty excited about that.

Well this week was cool because we were able to do some service! The sisters have a friend who needed our help so my companion and i got to move flower pots, sweep, do gardening stuff, water, and just be rooftop gardeners. Then we also made a chandelier! well hung up the glass things to make it one. 

So kind of a bummer this week. Sister Lam's mother passed away. She just recently had been to the hospital and got home, but wasn't doing to well. Sister Lam has a ton of faith and has really impressed me on how she knows that the Plan of Salvation is really real and that she will see her mother again. She is showing a lot of faith in Christ and I believe He is comforting her at this time. It's amazing how God works to comfort us through the Holy Ghost. She believes that Christ understands her right now and He will guide her. The only bummer is that she won't be making her baptismal date anymore. So I found out Chinese culture has a thing where you mourn and do things for the one who has passed for like 40 days? I am not too sure, I have only had it explained to me in the Chinese so I am not too exactly sure. But in March she will be baptized and be able to get the gift of the Holy Spirit! 

Well a couple of weeks ago, we went to a place in our area called Kowloon City and to a little park called Kowloon Walled park. While we were there we were trying to talk to families and people but weren't having much success. So we were thinking of heading out, but decided to stay just a little longer. (I have to add that to make the story seem cooler and it's true!) Well as we were talking to a couple and their kid, a member from a different ward walked up . The family wasn't interested after a little bit so after we talked to this sister. Well she was like, hey can I sit down and read a scripture with you two real quick? I need your help.. Then she was kind of crying and we weren't sure what was up. Well then she answered her phone and it was the bishop she called and was like I am alright, I found two angels, two missionaries. As we sit down, she explained what happened that someone in her family was in a bad situation and she came all the way out here to find them and then got lost in the city and was super panicked and getting nervous. So as she was not sure where to go or to do, she saw us. She said instantly she thought she was looking at two angels and felt the warmest peace come over her. She knew that'd it would be alright. So we sat down with her and read scriptures. She was crying because of how blessed she felt. Of how she truly knew, especially at that moment, that Heavenly Father is mindful of her. It is so true. I found it to be a really special experience to be able to be part of Heavenly Father's team I guess. I don't know the word to use. Just that we were able to be part of His plan and have him send us where He needed us.
 Just another witness allowing me to know of the power of a calling of being a representative of Jesus Christ, and being able to be where He would be. It's pretty cool of all the little tender mercies that He gives us each day or week. Just reminding me and each person blessed with them the amount of love He has for us. I just love Him! So grateful to be able to be part of His Restored church here on earth again. 
That's all I got.
Loves,
Elder Townsend


Ben- super awesome & not so recent convert!


Service- happiness!


I made tortillas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment