mh, mh, mh, mh, haih...April 21,2013

Hello, hello.
Yes the title is my language as of right now. I am barely starting to separate words that the people say. So there for, what I say keeps them talking and then they turn it into a haihmhhaih question and i say haih or mhhaih. haha 
Well this week was a  goody and a toughy. We have been working very hard to find a new investigator to teach and still trying. The only bummer is that on days when it is raining, there is no one on the streets. they all disappear. Well we went out a little farther this week and went to little tin huts/ concrete homes. We can actually "knock" on these doors. It is crazy to go from skyscrapers to little tiny homes. This week has been two types of weather... BUCKETS of rain and then hot, humid, sunny weather. Well I guess it is always hot and humid. It is just either raining or sunny. 
Well this week I haven't had anything to crazy to eat. When we had dinner at the pohpos home, there was a ton of fish. Its pretty interesting to have to eat around bones. the funny part is when you spit them out into the chopsticks and put the bones on the table. Oh, my chopstick skills lack hardcore. Other than that, I am just the foreigner who makes a fool of himself. Like the "funnest" thing is when my companion says talk to them! then i try and yep. haha he always says, at least you mentioned Jesus. That may be the most they ever thought of him. I like how he is always pointing out positives. also that he puts me in awkward situations and laughs at me afterwards. ahaha

So we have two baptisms this week!! which is very exciting because Tai Po supposedly hasn't had any for almost 4 years. nuts town. We have Patrick and he is this 19 year old guy that is so great! He is super cool and very spiritual. He is huge into music and wants to maybe go to BYU! He is great. 
We also have this girl who is pretty awesome too. The work here is going to be set on fire. I am excited, hopefully the baptisms will make members want to give us referrals!!
 Alright so I am terrible at phone calls. They are so hard. I always call one of our investigators. Well the call goes from me keep saying uh umm wait oh shoot ahh waith thats not cantonese blah blah. Well he always dies laughing and now we are pals. haha so now he just laughs at me.

Well events of this week. We went to Bride's Pool on monday. It was cool, it was just a hike up to a waterfall. It was pretty fun on the journey there though. On the way we saw a HUGE buddha. The size of the Jesus in Buenos Aires. So we hopped off the bus (double decker!) and attempted to hike to it. The only bummer was that the rode to it was closed and we weren't able to get close to it. But the journey there was entertaining. Sweating like pigs, going through random weird paths and sets of stairs that lead to practically nowhere.

Then this week we met with the elderly couple. they are so great and cute. The old man used to not like the missionaries and wouldn't listen to their messages, but he told us he really likes us. It was funny, when we were talking with the pohpo (word for old ladies, like grandma) he randomly sttod up and said, teach me to pray! so we did. He would just follow along and repeat.  He last fall had hit his head really bad and has had bad effects on him. such as he doesn't have a great memory on occassions and bad health. So we gave him a blessing. It was great. he was very happy about it. Well then later that week we met up with the family again. He wanted to pray again. Well when we were saying the prayer and he was following, sister cheung said "thank you for my wife" and he stopped and was like what?? haha why?? then the pohpo was laughing so hard at that she was tearing up. it was so funny. But after the funny part, he was able to pray. It is really cool to see a man who told us, He didn't like the gospel at all to wanting to learn. If only he would have started when he was healthier and could remember more.

I really have no idea what I am writing about and what not because my mind is pretty scatterbrained today...
But I can say this week has been a testimony builder. Not because of success or anything. this week was rough because the language is a killer and I want so bad to be able to help people.
 Well this just makes it hard. It has been a big faith tester. I have had to really rely on the Lord for help. As I was doing some studying, I came across a quote, as of right now all I remember is it said that faith is a reward for our righteous desires. and as I started thinking what my desires were, I realized they weren't all the best. yes, itd be cool to be fluent, but I think it is more important that I bring someone to Christ. 
That kind of drove me crazy because how am I supposed to do that without talking. Well I am still not sure. One thing I know is that the Lord knows how and it is very hard having to completely trust Him in this. I want so bad to know what I can do, but for now I just know that as long as I smile and bear my little testimony it'll add up. Because if righteous desires brings faith and faith brings miracles, well I am going to start at the beginning. One thing that faith is a lot of is patience. I have been like, I have the faith to learn this! but then The next day I think that I haven't progressed. It can be hard to remember there is time between the success. That is the time for mistakes.
Well I am sorry this letter isn't too good. For some reason I have nothing in my brain right now. absolutely nothing. I will try to make next weeks better. Hopefully I will be able to type something. This week just went by very fast!!
Well I wish the best to everyone, for now I think I'll go try to teach in Cantonese. haha
(sat for 10 minutes thinking) Well I really have nothing. My mind is a dud. I am out of time.
Love you all,
Elder Townsend



No comments:

Post a Comment